Friday, January 15, 2010

The Kardo


My mom and I said good-bye to my dad this morning so that he could go to Alon Shvut, a Jewish settlement in the occupied territories. He was going to meet a computer teacher there. My mom and I felt a lot better once we found out that his bus was going to be bullet proof and armored. After that I skyped with Ella and we had a great time catching up. I also emailed with Gabby. While I was skyping and emailing my mom went off to Mahane Yehuda (the big farmers market) to buy some groceries for tonight and tomorrow, because nothing is open on Shabbat. Because I couldn't skype the entire time my mom was gone I also read and did stuff on Facebook while my mom was out. When my mom came back around 11:45am we had lunch. Lunch was pasta with cottage cheese, butter, and mozzarella cheese. It was really good and everything blended together well. I was thankful that we had normal pasta, one time we bought whole wheat pasta instead; it was gross. After lunch, my mom did some work on her computer and then we went for a walk in the Old City. We met up with my dad at the Jaffa Gate (the gate that we usually take to get into the Old City) so that he could walk with us to and so we could show him what we found yesterday. From the Jaffa Gate we walked south so that we ended up at the Kardo. The Kardo is in the heart of the Jewish quarter in the Old City of Jerusalem. There are ruin type stones all over it but there is a walkway with lots of shops in it as well, so it has been built up over the years. Thousands of years. While we were browsing through the shops we stopped at a shop that had hundreds of t-shirts. Funny ones, sports teams (mostly American), Jewish ones, and many other interesting categories. Because they were having a 3 for 100 sheckel deal we bought 3. One for my uncle that says Chicago Cubs in English and Hebrew. One that says Israel with a Nike swoosh and on the back it says Just Do It. And one for me, that has South Park characters (South Park is probably my favorite T.V. show) on it and says "Oh my God.... they kild Kenny...." Yes, the spelling of "killed" on the shirt is wrong. Killing Kenny is a joke from the show. After buying the shirts we continued exploring the alleys of the Kardo looking around whenever possible. There is a set of stairs that you can take down to get to a little lookout type point underground. It was cool being down there amidst the rocks, even though we weren't very close to them because of all the railings and stuff. Walking around the Kardo was fun and interesting and I would gladly do it again!

5 comments:

  1. What a terrific adventure you are having! And you will look back on this with only great memories. Believe it or not.

    Nice photos:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. noa! i think i did really well on the map test! thanks so much for the help studying! this sounds like a fun day :) p.s. I love that im popular in isreal, and if you find any more pictures of "me" i would love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am love, love, loving this blog, Noa! Your writing style is incredibly interesting and your pictures are fantastic! Keep up the great work! PS: You and your mom are adorable in those pics. PPS: Has there been much in the media there about Haiti?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ella, yay!! no problem :) it was a fun day. ya, you definitely are popular! i think i have another pic so i'll send it 2 you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, Thanks!! aww thanks my mom thanks you too! There is some stuff about Haiti but only on the world news channels and I don't know if anything is in the papers because we don't get them and most of them are in Hebrew.

    ReplyDelete